Out and about on WRAL.com

0


[ad_1]

– A popular Durham nightclub and bar is closing indefinitely after raising concerns about the COVID-19 pandemic.

Shooters Saloon, on West Morgan Street, announced on social media that it was closing on Wednesday.

“We take care of all of you. We take care of your well-being,” a post from the Shooters Saloon Instagram page said. “With all of that being said, we hope that by doing our part and others as well, we may be able to get COVID-19 out of here. “

The owner declined to give details of the closure.

The club is a popular place for Duke University students, and WRAL Investigates has discovered that several complaints have been filed about the company not enforcing COVID-19 protocols. In a complaint, Duke’s student government called on the city to crack down on the club and enforce statewide occupancy limits and the mask mandate.

The snipers’ announcement comes as more than 300 cases of COVID-19 have been reported among Duke students in a week. The university on Monday extended its mask mandate to areas outside the campus as well as inside buildings after reporting the number of cases.

Videos shared with WRAL Investigates in April showed students unmasked shoulder to shoulder in the bar.

“It looked like before the pandemic. There were hundreds of students in there, unmasked, with no social distancing,” said a student from Duke who visited Shooters on April 3. “People were having a hard time keeping their balance because they were so packed together.”

At the time, the owner of Shooters denied claims that the bar violated capacity limits and mask requirements.

Duke students and faculty need to be vaccinated against the coronavirus. Ninety-eight percent of Duke students and 92 percent of faculty and staff are vaccinated, officials said. The remaining 8 percent of Duke employees have been given an Oct. 1 deadline to get vaccinated, and those who don’t will be fired, officials said.

[ad_2]

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.